- 4-28 oz. cans tomato puree, 3 same size can of water (swish around)
- 2- 7 oz. cans tomato paste, 2 cans water 1 T salt & 3/4 T pepper
- 3 T sugar 1/4 C chopped fresh basil
- 1 T dried oregano 2 T fresh mint,chop
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh chop parsley
- 2 bay leaf 1 C grated Parmesan
- 3 lbs. boneless beef chuck, chunked
- 3 lbs. Italian sausage, cut up
- 1 large onion, 3 garlic cloves, all diced
- 1/2 C olive oil
Saute onion & garlic in olive oil until soft. In very large pot, pour puree, and 3 cans water. Add paste, and 2 small cans water. Add sugar, herbs, salt & pepper, bay leaf, & cheese.
Add the cooked onion & garlic . Brown the beef chunks, then the Italian sausage and add to sauce. Simmer the sauce for 2 hrs. Stirring often.
In the meantime, make the meatballs according to directions on next page. Add the meatballs the last 1 1/2 hrs. of cooking. Total cooking time 3 1/2 hours. Take out bay leaf before serving. (taste for more salt?)
SUNDAY DINNERS AT OUR HOUSE BY OUR DAD, ANGELO G. RUMORE
This is the real thing! So delicious.
You can make 1/2 of this recipe for smaller portions. Just cut everything in half, but it freezes well. So make plenty and freeze.
This is added to the spaghetti sauce during the last 1 1/2 hours of cooking. You can also stuff the center with one chunk of mozzarella cheese for a great surprise!