- 1 Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Classic Yellow Cake mix
- 2 8 oz. Dole Pineapple slices (8 rings) Reserve juice
- 1 1/2 C water combined with reserved pineapple juice (total 1 1/2 C)
- 1/2 C vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 C dark brown sugar
- 1/2 stick of butter, melted
- candied cherries
Optional for Double Pineapple:
- 1 12 oz. container Cool Whip
- 1 Instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 8 oz. crushed pineapple with juice
- 1 to 1 1/2 C sliced almonds
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Prepare a 10 inch spring form pan as follows: Spray with Bakers Joy, pour the melted butter and spread around, sprinkle on the brown sugar evenly.
Place the pineapple rings on top of the brown sugar and butter, making a circular design with one in the center. Put two candy cherries in the center of each pineapple.
Mix the cake mix according to the directions on the package, just use 1 1/2 C of liquid, mixing water and any pineapple juice from the can. Beat 2 minutes, or as directed.
Pour batter over the pineapple and bake 50 to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Let the cake cook for 10 minutes on a rack, then invert on a large platter.
THIS CAN BE SERVED JUST LIKE THIS AND IS DELICIOUS, OR YOU CAN TAKE IT TO THE NEXT LEVEL!
After the cake as completely cooled, mix the crushed pineapple, cool whip, and vanilla pudding until well blended. Place wax or parchment paper in pieces around the bottom of the cake. Ice only the sides of the cake. With one hand, pat sliced almonds on the sides covering the surfaces all around the cake. Should be refrigerated. (Note: You will have some left over icing, just put it in the freezer for another time!)