- 1/2 C half and half
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/3 C uncooked quick-cooking grits
- 1 1/2 C (6 ounces) shredded sharp white Cheddar cheese
- 3/4 C (1 1/2 sticks) butter
- 1/2 C dry white wine
- 1 1/2 pounds large (21 to 25 count) Shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 C chopped green onions (save a few for garnish)
- Cracked pepper
- additional cheese for garnish
Bring 4 cups water, the half & half and salt to a boil in a large saucepan. Gradually stir in grits. Reduce heat and simmer 7 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat, stir in cheese and set aside, covered.
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add wine, bring to a boil and boil 2 minutes. Add shrimp; cook 2 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Stir in onions and cook, stirring constantly, 30 seconds. Remove from heat.
Spoon cheese grits into 4 bowls, top with shrimp mixture, sprinkle with cracked pepper & a little salt; garnish with cheese and a few green onion slices. Makes 4 servings.
(You can make just the grits, they are delicious alone!)