- 4 pieces boneless, skinless split chicken breast
- 8 pieces boneless, skinless chicken thighs (or any combination you may like)
- salt & pepper
- 1 C olive oil for frying
- 1/4 C honey
- 1/3 C capers
- 1 C Manzanilla olives (5.75 oz. jar)
- 3/4 C golden raisins
- 1 red bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1/2 C Hunt’s diced tomatoes with juice (I like fire-roasted)
- 1/2 pound mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 3/4 C Sherry cooking wine
- egg noodles (cooked as directed on bag)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Set aside large baking pan. Place large frying pan on stove on medium-high and place 1 cup olive oil in pan. Salt & pepper each side of chicken. Fry chicken in batches for approx. 3 minutes per side in order to brown slightly. Place the browned chicken in a single layer in the baking pan. Place one or two slices of mozzarella cheese on top of the chicken.
When finished frying all the chicken, discard most of the oil, leaving a couple of teaspoon in the pan. Add the chopped onions and bell peppers to the frying pan and sauté for approx. 3 minutes. Add capers, olives, raisins, honey, can tomatoes with some juice, and sherry cooking wine. Simmer all together for 3 minutes. Pour all the ingredients and liquid over the chicken and mozzarella. Bake uncovered for 1 hour. Serve with cooked noodles, placing the chicken around it. This is a great dish to serve “family style”. Serves 6 to 8 people, freezes well.